15 April 2018

23andMe DNA test results - part one

I received my test results from 23andMe. I took the DNA plus health test. For purposes of this post I will just cover the basic heritage information.


Because I have taken other DNA tests I was not surprised by the end result of the test:
71.2% British & Irish
12.6% French & German (don't tell grandpa Trotter)
2.8% Scandinavian


My AncestryDNA results show a similar grouping for DNA results:
74% Great Britian
10% Ireland/Scotland/Wales
6% Scandinavia


The MyHeritage results gave similar overall groupings but surprisingly says I am only:
 9.1% British or Irish
73.7% Northern and West European
11.9% Eastern European.

If I had not had a match through MyHeritage with my aunt Connee I would think my MyHeritage test got mixed with someone else. My aunt Connee is my genealogy buddy. She could not be more supportive and helpful to me. This 23andMe test is the first DNA test so far that we have not matched on yet. Simply because her kit has not been processed yet.

 
There are 1075 DNA matches for me in 23andMe, including a first cousin. More on that in a later post.


Ancestry does not give me a total count of matches but does say I have more than 1000 fourth cousin or closer matches. My mother, aunt Connee, uncle Darce, cousins Carree and Teri, and my grandfather's brother Paul have also taken ancestry tests. I would dare say ancestry would give the same types of results but maybe not as many close relatives. Ancestry was the first test I took and I have encouraged my relative to take it too. Paul's son Mark was an early ancestry user and I took the test to match with him. At some point the DNA results changed and Mark's test was old enough it did not have the same number of data points so he no longer shows up in my results.


I have 4,983 matches in MyHeritage that are 3-5th cousins or closer.

The simplicity of the 23andME website makes it easy to navigate and to read results. The generic information is easily available but not made part of the results. The focus in on DNA results and not necessarily family relationship. More about that later.

No comments:

Post a Comment