22 April 2018

23andMe DNA test results - part three

In 23andMe DNA test results - part two I covered the Ancestry Composition Chromosome Painting feature, my paternal and maternal haplogroup results, and my least favorable test result.

In this post I would like to cover the Genetic Health Risk, Wellness, Carrier Status, and Traits results I got from the Health+ part of the test. This generally doubles the cost of the test but I was browsing Amazon last July (2017) and the Ancestry+Health kits were on sale for around $100.

Genetic Health Risk

 


Among the Health Risked checked for include:
  • Age-related macular degeneration
  • Hereditary Thrombophilia
  • Late-Onset Alzheimer's Disease
  • Parkinson's Disease
  • Celiac Disease

Wellness



The other Wellness Results checked for include:
  • Deep Sleep
  • Genetic Weight
  • Lactose Intolerance
  • Saturated Fat and Weight
  • Sleep Movement

 Carrier Status

 

 

 There are over 30 different genetic carrier test results including:
  • Cystic Fibrosis
  • GRACILE
  • Leigh Syndrome
Most of them I have never heard of and for me none of the variants were detected.
 

 Traits



There are over 20 trait results including:
  • Asparagus Odor Detection
  • Bald Spot
  • Cheek Dimples
  • Red Hair
  • Unibrow
  • Earwax type

You are told if you are likely or not to have the traits. My eyes are hazel and twenty of the trait predictions were correct. Some of the missed predictions were likely light hair and likely no widows peak.

My genetic health test results were very good. I am not sure how I would feel if I had a poor result. I am glad to know I am not genetically in trouble. As they repeatedly said throughout reading the results are not definite. I am not sure I would feel like I got my money's worth if I have paid the full price. I really liked the heritage results.

No comments:

Post a Comment