11 February 2014

There seems to be a thread - Carpenter Seed Pt. 3

I know I have blogged about this before but I feel like I need to follow keep updating things when new information arises.

Last week, while I was attending RootsTech my favorite uncle posted another series of pictures he found from Carpenter Seed. Although he didn't narrate them I thought they contributed to the story as a whole.

This is what Carpenter Seed looked like when it opened. It still looks this way in the front when you drive by on Highway 89.


This is the fish and game section of the store. This was the back wall of the building until they opened it up for more retail space. My Uncle Darce says he can smell the leather when he looks at this picture.


This is the home and garden section of the store. The loft in the back of the room at the top of the picture was where the business office was. I remember when I was old enough to go upstairs to what my dad called the 'coffee clutch' and shoot the bull with my relatives. It made me feel important to go up there and a part of something bigger than me. I wish I could go back up there one more time and enjoy the atmosphere, and ask some questions.


This is my favorite picture of this set of pictures. It is taken from the business loft with the wall of guns on the right. My grandpa Trotter is the closest man in the white shirt behind the counter. Carpenter Seed would let you reload your shells for free if you bought the supplies from the store. These men are all reloading shells, it must be warm outside because most of them are wearing short sleeve shirts. At the top of the picture, along the south wall of the store, are the seeds. Six racks 10 rows deep of the finest seeds in the inter-mountain and south west.

My Aunt Connee discussed these photos at lunch in-between sessions of RootsTech. She mentioned in passing that she saw one of the old seed boxes online that a women had purchased for $5 at a yard sale. I asked where and she said she would try and send me a picture. I by chance googles Carpenter Seed and behold... I found the pictures on a blog called Have a Daily Cup of Mrs Olsen.


This is the old seed box that doubled as a display box.


When closed the seeds crates could be stacked and stored. When open they looked great and helped to sell the seed.

Mrs. Olsen now uses it for holiday decorations, this is a family heirloom to drool over. Thanks again to my favorite uncle for passing on his experiences and pictures. Special thanks to Mrs. Olsen for finding this piece of family history and sharing it so we can all benefit. This chapter of our family history is writing itself and I am sure enjoying the ride. Now to document the pictures into the collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment